DEPARTMENT: MCFN – Health REPORTING TO: Health Director
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent LOCATION: Fort McMurray, AB
Mikisew Cree First Nation (MCFN) is currently seeking an Epidemiologist to join the Team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. MCFN is a Woodland Cree, Treaty 8 First Nation. Reporting to and working closely with the Health Director, the Epidemiologist, will be responsible for carrying out research to investigate the transmission of diseases to develop a means for prevention and control.
- Study the patterns, causes, and effect of disease in humans
- Liaise healthcare professionals to analyze the outbreak of an epidemic
- Providing data which is useful in making public health decisions
- Keep track of Covid-19 virus and identify new viral strains and keep them from spreading
- Conduct disease surveillance to detect newly emerged diseases and evaluate their impact on public health
- Review disinfection and sterilization techniques to ensure they are effective against disease pathogens
- Prepare cultures environmental studies
- Educate MCFN on infectious diseases and ways to minimize transmission
- Contribute to the design of standards for the prevention of Covid-19
- Maintain concise records of investigative findings and present reports to appropriate authority for implementation
- Travel to Fort Chipewyan to provide assistance as needed at community events (pending Alberta Health Services and MCFN Covid-19 protocols and recommended guidelines) and
- Perform other related administrative and analytical tasks as requested.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Public Health
- Experience with working with First Nations is considered an asset
- Must have an understanding and knowledge of First Nation, processes and issues relating to First Nations programs, funding mechanisms and the working knowledge to conduct business within these areas
- Proficient in word processing, databases, spreadsheets, use of statistical tools and techniques
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relay research information to the Health Department and MCFN
- Demonstrated sound judgement, analytical and decision-making skills
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and current clear criminal record check.
- A strong passion for Nation Building and the desire to make a difference for the future of MCFN
- Knowledge of the Cree culture and traditions and ability to speak Cree is desirable.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, by email, in confidence to
Attention: Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants but only those selected will be contacted for an interview. Preference will be given to qualified applicants of Indigenous ancestry in any hiring decision, please declare your Indigenous status in your application.